[python-committers] Transfer of power

Davin Potts python at discontinuity.net
Thu Jul 12 16:40:58 EDT 2018

Per Antoine's comment:
> That might be a minority view, but I don't think anyone except Guido
> would be legitimate as a Python BDFL.  Not even Tim or Barry ;-)

I think all agree that there simply is no replacing Guido, there is only
succeeding Guido and demonstrating that what he has built and cultivated in
this community and those on this mailing list is self-sustaining.

Per Christian's comment, repeated by many:
> How about a form of presbyterian polity in the form of a triumvirate

+1
+1
+1

Per Brett's comment:
> What that means is I think we should either have another BDFL or go
> with Christian's triumvirate suggestion in the name of general
> consistency and guidance

Consistency, I suggest, outweighs many of our other valid concerns raised
so far.  I support the approach of sorting out over time how the
composition of the triumvirate changes and when -- legislating how things
work before we have a good sense of things will quickly become
problematic.  I have faith in the people we are choosing from for the first
triumvirate.

Per Raymond's comment:
> Sorry the PEP process was so painful.  I hope your decision to have a
> permanent vacation will lift a great weight from your shoulders and that
> you will derive more joy from just being a far from ordinary core dev.

+1

Davin