[python-committers] Transfer of power

Davin Potts python at discontinuity.net
Thu Jul 12 16:40:58 EDT 2018

Per Antoine's comment:
> That might be a minority view, but I don't think anyone except Guido
> would be legitimate as a Python BDFL.  Not even Tim or Barry ;-)

I think all agree that there simply is no replacing Guido, there is only
succeeding Guido and demonstrating that what he has built and cultivated in
this community and those on this mailing list is self-sustaining.

Per Christian's comment, repeated by many:
> How about a form of presbyterian polity in the form of a triumvirate


Per Brett's comment:
> What that means is I think we should either have another BDFL or go
> with Christian's triumvirate suggestion in the name of general
> consistency and guidance

Consistency, I suggest, outweighs many of our other valid concerns raised
so far.  I support the approach of sorting out over time how the
composition of the triumvirate changes and when -- legislating how things
work before we have a good sense of things will quickly become
problematic.  I have faith in the people we are choosing from for the first

Per Raymond's comment:
> Sorry the PEP process was so painful.  I hope your decision to have a
> permanent vacation will lift a great weight from your shoulders and that
> you will derive more joy from just being a far from ordinary core dev.



On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 2:38 PM, Eric Snow <ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com>

> On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 1:29 PM Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, 12 Jul 2018 at 10:42 Eric Snow <ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> In the short term we could appoint a *temporary* triumvirate to fill
> >> in as BDFL (with the intent to re-assess the situation in September if
> >> we haven't resolved on a permanent solution by then).  That would
> >> allow us to maintain business-as-usual (and try out a triumvirate).
> >> If we go that route then I'd recommend Brett, Nick, and Barry.
> >
> > I don't think we need a temporary solution while we digest this and
> figure out how we want to manage ourselves. Short of some horrible CoC
> catastrophe we can just hold off on making any final decisions on PEPs
> until a decision is made in how we want to handle PEPs going forward since
> Python 3.8 isn't hitting beta until May 2019 (and even if it was close we
> don't need to ever rush anything into a release as there's always the next
> release :) .
> Agreed.  I was hasty in posting that and don't foresee any issues
> where a temporary BDFL would matter. :)
> -eric
> _______________________________________________
> python-committers mailing list
> python-committers at python.org
> https://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/python-committers
> Code of Conduct: https://www.python.org/psf/codeofconduct/
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-committers/attachments/20180712/79658aef/attachment.html>

More information about the python-committers mailing list