[python-committers] An alternative governance model

Eric V. Smith eric at trueblade.com
Tue Jul 17 22:15:34 EDT 2018

On 7/17/2018 10:02 PM, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> I’d like to propose an alternative model, and with it a succession plan, that IMHO hasn’t gotten enough discussion.  It’s fairly radical in that it proposes to not actually change that much!
>
> TL;DR: I propose keeping a singular BDFL and adding a Council of Advisors that helps the BDFL in various capacities, with additional responsibilities.  I also have someone specific in mind for the NBDFL, but you’ll have to read on for the big reveal.

I've come to this same conclusion. I think Brett would be a good choice,
and I'd support him, but I think the more important part is that it be a
single person.

And I think the succession plan is important, too. I think Łukasz was
alluding to this earlier (or maybe I'm projecting): who's to say that
the next BDFL is legitimate? If we put together a plan, and Guido
blesses it, that makes the plan legitimate, and then the plan gets
executed and makes NBDFL legitimate.

Eric