[python-committers] An alternative governance model

Antoine Pitrou antoine at python.org
Wed Jul 18 06:04:26 EDT 2018

Hi Ethan,

Le 18/07/2018 à 11:49, Ethan Furman a écrit :

>> You're creating a huge problem here.  Whatever dictator you come up
>> with, not everyone will be ok with that choice.  What are they supposed
>> to do?  If one doesn't think X is legitimate as a dictator, how does one
>> keep contributing to the project?  In other words, you are threatening
>> to exclude people, perhaps seasoned contributors.
>
> I find this an empty argument.  What were they supposed to do when PEPs they wanted were rejected, and PEPs they thought
> foolish accepted?

I'm not sure what you mean?  I may disagree with my governement's
decisions without wanting to overthrow the whole regime (or, conversely,
I may agree with some of a despot's decisions without finding him
legitimate to make those decisions).  Disagreeing with a PEP has nothing
to do with this discussion, has it?

> If we go with a committee are we threatening to exclude those who
think design-by-committee is not a
> legitamate method, or don't think it's members are legitimate choices?

If we're talking about a dictator (this is Barry's proposal), we're not
talking about someone that just makes language design decisions, as
Victor pointed out.

Or if it is what we're talking about, the name is ill-chosen :-)

Regards

Antoine.