[python-committers] An alternative governance model

Jack Jansen jack.jansen at cwi.nl
Wed Jul 18 17:29:05 EDT 2018

Is it necessary to put exact percentages here?

I think a BDFL-replacement should have the support of a large majority of the community. I would expect anyone who would be considered as BDFL in the first place would voluntarily step down once this is no longer the case. I don’t think it is necessary to clearly define what “large majority” means, nor what “community” means.

If the Python community ever gets to the level infighting of Borgia popes versus de Medici popes I think things have deteriorated to a level that it won’t make much difference anyways.

I’m not 100% convinced I like Barry’s idea of a formal Council as the board of the community, but on the other hand I don’t have a good alternative (except for the anarchist village shouting match, but that has serious issues).

Jack