[python-committers] An alternative governance model

Fred Drake fred at fdrake.net
Wed Jul 18 19:06:56 EDT 2018

On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 6:03 PM Łukasz Langa <lukasz at langa.pl> wrote:
> I don't understand what you mean. Before we get to vote on a variant of PEP 2, we need to decide how we are supposed to perform that vote. This needs to be decided before we discuss councils, dictators, and so on because it's all moot if there is no accepted way to agree which governance model we want.

Humans do so love to argue!

Both the decision-making process and the candidate decisions are
reasonable to discuss; there's no intrinsic ordering constraint for
reasonable discussion.  We need to decide on the decision-making
mechanism before the decision can be made, but that's it.

PEP 2 is (currently) the "Procedure for Adding New Modules".  Though
superseded, recycling the PEP number seems out of character with the
RFC process from which we derived the PEP process.  Let's be cautious
about recycling like that; integers are cheap.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.    <fred at fdrake.net>
"A storm broke loose in my mind."  --Albert Einstein