[python-committers] Proposal: an explicit, time-limited moratorium on finalizing any governance decisions

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Jul 19 13:53:00 EDT 2018

On Jul 19, 2018, at 10:19, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:

> On 7/19/2018 1:10 PM, Mariatta Wijaya wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 19, 2018 at 8:59 AM Brett Cannon <brett at python.org <mailto:brett at python.org>> wrote:
>> So what about the following timelines:
>> Oct 1: Deadline for people to come up with proposals of governance model, candidates, and how to vote
>> Dec 1: Deadline to choose a governance model, (and if possible, we choose the new leader(s) too)
>
> Why not Nov 1, leaving a month to decide on proposals?
>
>> Jan 1: Deadline to choose the new leader(s), if not already chosen by Dec 1.

I like the Nov 1 schedule.  I’m +1 with giving plenty of time to process, but I share the concern about letting things drag on too long.

IMHO, ideally we’d have the new governance structure and its office holders in place by EOY18.  That has to account for various holidays, including Thanksgiving in the US and Christmas to New Years.

Cheers,
-Barry