[python-committers] number of active core devs [was: Comments on moving issues to GitHub]

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sat Jun 2 21:07:39 EDT 2018

Sounds to me like these are probably just past committers who are no longer
active for whatever personal reasons, and took no action when we moved to
GitHub. We basically never remove the commit bit from anyone except by
request, and I only recall seeing one such request, ever. Some of them
probably expect to come back in the future (like Neil Schemenauer did). I
recall only one person who said they refused to move to GitHub (but AFAIK
we didn't remove their commit bit from b.p.o), so I don't think that we can
blame these numbers on the move to GitHub.

It's definitely disturbing that we have so few active committers though --
it means that a small number of people take on a lot of the load (my
intuition tells me it's even more skewed than Mariatta's numbers reveal).
The best course of action seems to be to take measures to acquire new
committers (and contributors), not to try and reactivate old inactive
committers.

On Sat, Jun 2, 2018 at 5:42 PM, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:

> Is that a 50% reduction or is that just 50% of the people who could be
> active are?
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Jun 2, 2018, at 8:33 PM, Ethan Furman <ethan at stoneleaf.us> wrote:
> >
> >> On 06/02/2018 12:46 PM, Mariatta Wijaya wrote:
> >>
> >> And perhaps this is to be discussed in a separate thread: even though
> in the b.p.o we appear to have 170 committers,
> >> really there are 90 core devs (people who has commit right to CPython
> on GitHub). and out of those 90, I think only
> >> about half are currently active (since the migration to GitHub).
> >
> > 50% reduction in activity?  Ouch.
> >
> > --
> > ~Ethan~

--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)