[python-committers] Changing commiter status (was: Missing In Action)

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Mon Jun 18 15:07:34 EDT 2018

Hm, unless I misunderstood, MAL's

> Being a core developer of Python is a status

suggests that core devs might want to keep this status since it confers
"status" on their person (it looks good on a resume for sure). And I
wouldn't want to make it any harder for a 3rd party to verify someone's
claim to this status in their resume.

Marc-Andre, is that what you meant?

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 11:59 AM Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Jun 2018 at 06:43 Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 18 June 2018 at 18:07, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
>> > Overall, I think that removing repo or bpo permissions should be
>> > kept separate from the status itself. It would probably be wise
>> > to send around reminders to all core devs who have access and
>> > have not used their permissions every few year. The keys of those
>> > who don't respond could then be disabled, without affecting
>> > anything else; and, of course, easily be reenabled if needed,
>> > without much process either.
>>
>> Aye, that's the key concept behind adding an explicit "Dormant" status
>> for core developers - they're folks that are still trusted with core
>> commit privileges if they choose to exercise them, but while they're
>> not using their access, it's better to deactivate their credentials to
>> reduce the potential for compromise.
>>
>> We'd add a note to the developer guide that gave instructions on how
>> to request reactivation (likely just "Check the developer guide to
>> ensure you're up to speed with any changes since you were last active,
>> then past to python-committers requesting that your credentials be
>> reactivated").
>>

> Right, no one's role of having been a core dev will be wiped from history,
> they just won't have the core dev logo next to their bugs.python.org
> username in the issue tracker (which if they are so dormant to have not
> added their GitHub username then  they probably don't care about that
> anyway ;) . And flipping everything back on is a radio button and a word in
> bugs.python.org if their triage rights are removed and clicking on a
> button on a web page on GitHub if we clean up for dev access on the
> repository.

--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)