[python-committers] Comments on moving issues to GitHub

Victor Stinner vstinner at redhat.com
Fri May 18 20:10:52 EDT 2018

Hi,

I failed to get the microphone after Mariatta's secret talk about
moving Python issues from bugs.python.org (Roundup) to GitHub.

I just wanted to add that it's common (at least once per month) that
someone comes to #python-dev to report that they cannot connect to
bugs.python.org (the authentication is broken). Usually, I tried to
point them to the meta-bug tracker, but I hate doing that... The
concept of a meta-bug tracker blows my mind :-)

Right now, I tied to add a comment on an issue and I got the error:

"""
Proxy Error

The proxy server could not handle the request POST /issue32534.

________________________________
Apache/2.2.16 (Debian) Server at bugs.python.org Port 443
"""

Sometimes, I get a SSL error. I reported the issue 7 months ago, and
sometimes I still get the error:

https://github.com/python/psf-infra-meta/issues/4

It's a random error, but using a loop, it's easy to reproduce it.

I don't have a strong opinion about moving issues to GitHub. I just
wanted to point out that if we keep bugs.python.org, we need more
volunteers to maintain it. I would prefer to not have to redirect new
comers, who want to report a simple bug, to a "meta bug tracker"...

I don't plan to report the proxy error, since my previous bug report
(SSL error) is still not fixed and it's the first time that I got this
error.

Victor