[python-committers] CoC violation (was: Retire or reword the "Beautiful is better than ugly" Zen clause)

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 08:45:14 EDT 2018

On Fri, 21 Sep 2018 at 13:26, Carol Willing <willingc at gmail.com> wrote:
> Context is important. I wonder though if the author's intent was constructive comment...

I'm sure it wasn't. But in context, it was a statement made in a
thread that had long previously become nothing more than
non-constructive invective. Calling one person out (even though his
comments were significantly more extreme than others') strikes me as
looking for a culprit, rather than addressing the situation.

It's not likely to be a practical option on a mailing list, but in
primary school (which the whole conversation felt like) a likely
response would have been to put *everyone* involved in a time-out for
a period of cooling off, to think about how their behaviour was
unacceptable. Think for example of a group of kids taunting each other
until one of them snaps and hits someone.

Paul