[python-committers] [Steering-council] Re: Can we choose between mailing list and discuss.python.org?

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 08:49:50 EST 2019

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 at 12:38, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Victor's original question, the Discourse experiment has been successful enough that I don't see a problem with the committers mailing list going essentially "announce only". I agree with Barry that going further than that would require a PEP, but Discourse is bad enough for announcements that I don't see much reason to do that.

My feeling is that the pace of discussions is slightly different than
on the list. See Terry's comment "Otherwise, we would depend on people
happening to drop by and notice the vote" - this is another aspect of
the "bad for announcements" aspect of Discourse, things can often sit
unnoticed for a while due to the fact that Discourse is less of "push"
medium and more of a "pull" one (notifications notwithstanding).

I think people still need a little time to get used to that change of
pace, so discussions don't get assumed to be concluded too soon. But
otherwise, yes, for python-committers I think it's worked out well. I
do *not* think we know yet whether that will be the same for other
groups, and I am worried that monitoring things on a per-category
basis may be both necessary and uncomfortably difficult once there's
more traffic.

Paul