[python-committers] Can we choose between mailing list and discuss.python.org?

Victor Stinner vstinner at redhat.com
Tue Feb 12 09:53:21 EST 2019

Le mar. 12 févr. 2019 à 15:07, Giampaolo Rodola' <g.rodola at gmail.com> a écrit :
> IMO since the people who are gonna use these communication channels are mostly gonna be core developers (or is Users category also included in the migration plan?) I think the council should take into account how core-devs feel about this first. Opinions may have changed over the course of the last 3 months, but there was a poll back in November showing how many of us were not happy to abandon the mailing lists:
> https://discuss.python.org/t/how-do-you-find-discourse-so-far/429
> ...and that does not include the 24 core devs who never joined discuss. So at the very least I would appreciate having a new poll to understand whether/how things changed in the meantime. FWIW my main concern about discuss remains the long term archival topic described here:
> https://discuss.python.org/t/discourse-archive-and-backup/637

I like Barry's idea of a PEP since the points that you listed here
have already been discussed multiple times. We need a document (a PEP)
which summarize these discussions and maybe list things that you
should fixed between we can abandon a mailing list for
python-committers (for example).

I'm not volunteer to write such PEP. Maybe early supporters of
Discourse like Lukasz, Pablo and Yury are more interested to write
such PEP? Anyone else?

Note: I changed my mind on Discourse since discuss.python.org has been
created :-) It took me time to be used to it. First, I was opposed
since I'm always opposed to changes by default :-)

Victor