[python-committers] Can we choose between mailing list and discuss.python.org?

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Wed Feb 13 14:12:02 EST 2019

On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 2:55 AM Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 at 22:00, Antoine Pitrou <antoine at python.org> wrote:
> > Here is a 161-message Discourse thread (at the time of this writing):
> > https://discuss.python.org/t/pep-517-backend-bootstrapping/789
>
> As someone directly involved in that discussion, with a strong need to
> understand all of the points being made, that's a great example of
> both the benefits and the flaws of the discourse model.

Can I ask if that entire thread is on topic, or is there a reasonable point
in that discussion where side conversations could have been broken off into
a separate topic(s)? When email threads tend to reach that length there
have been side discussions that could have become their own topic if
someone thought to change the subject and Discourse allows for having an
admin break posts off at any point and I'm curious if it would have been
helpful and people simply didn't think about it (I know I don't always
think of it immediately yet).

-Brett