[python-committers] Can we choose between mailing list and discuss.python.org?

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 17:56:02 EST 2019

On Wed, 13 Feb 2019 at 20:50, Antoine Pitrou <antoine at python.org> wrote:
> Apparently you're saying that just because you can't/don't want to use a
> more appropriate tool, other people shouldn't be able too.  That sounds
> ridiculous to me.  Use an inferior tool if you want, but don't force
> other people to.

That;'s a common complaint in these discussions and it has some merit.
However, Gregory also said (in a very relevant comment that you
unfortunately omitted):

>> If we want to enforce an interface on people, IMNSHO that is what something like Discourse is for

The question here is fundamentally, whether we do want to enforce an
interface on people. If we do, then there will be some losers (people
with effective and highly tuned email workflows, like yourself) and
some winners (for example, people like me who cannot in practical
terms use anything other than a web interface). The judgement is
whether the benefit to, and number of, the winners outweighs the
disadvantages to, and the numbers of, the losers. (And the more
abstract question of whether restricting users' choice is a good or a
bad thing, but I'm going to pass on that).

I don't know the answer. As a "winner", my feeling is that the
advantage to me is marginal for longer more complex discussions, and
reasonable for shorter discussions. So I don't feel that I'm much of a
data point.

Paul