[python-committers] Can we choose between mailing list and discuss.python.org?

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Thu Feb 14 17:20:44 EST 2019

On Thu, Feb 14, 2019, 09:39 Brett Cannon <brett at python.org wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 12:17 PM Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:

>> writing):

>> need to

>> broken
>> own
>> for
>> would
>> >
>> > My feeling (as I followed the entire discussion from the start) is that
>> > the side discussions all tied back, rather than diverging permanently.
>> > So at best it would be "you 2-3 go and discuss this part separately and
>> > come back when you agree", which as we know is often followed up by "you
>> > other 2-3 re-discuss everything they already discussed since you weren't
>> > part of the side discussion".
>>
>> Precisely this. I don't know *how* I would have split off a separate
>> sub-thread in Discourse if needed (it's easy enough in email by
>> changing the subject, I presume it's not much harder in Discourse?)
>>

> Nope, it's not hard. The process is:
>
>    1. An admin notices/is asked to split a topic that has diverged
>    2. The admin clicks the wrench icon and chooses to Select Posts
>    3. You select posts either manually, post + all following, or post +
>    all replies
>    4. You then have the option to create a new topic for the selected
>    posts, specifying category, title, labels, etc.
>
> The pro to this compared to subject changing in an ML is it's retroactive.
> The con is an admin needs to to it, but you can always @ mention 'admins'
> -- maybe 'staff' group has the same abilities? -- to bring a thread to
> their attention that needs splitting.

Apparently you don't actually need an admin to do this – any user with
"trust level 4" can do it:
https://blog.discourse.org/2018/06/understanding-discourse-trust-levels/

That includes admins and moderators, but we can also promote as many people
as we want to that level, and they don't have to sign up for moderator work
or count against our staff account cap.

-n