[Python-compilers] [RESPONSE NEEDED] Workshop planning and schedule

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Sat Jun 25 02:24:47 EDT 2016

Hi everyone,

The Python compilers workshop is coming up fast, so I wanted to start
talking about planning details.

>From my point of view, the point of the workshop is for you to have
productive discussions about the things you care about, so I'm not
going to try and micromanage you :-). But, in the interests of
kick-starting those productive discussions, here's a proposal for how
to schedule Monday:

1) Introductions

2) I'll give a short (~20 min) orienting talk about the workshop
logistics + the Python compiler landscape as I understand it

3) [THE THING YOU NEED TO PREPARE FOR IN ADVANCE] Some representative
or representatives of each of the different projects stands up and
gives an even shorter (5-15 min?) overview of their particular
project. Keep in mind that the audience here is other people who have
written their own Python compilers, so this isn't your normal "why you
might want to use X" talk. Instead, since we're trying to seed
discussions, my suggested outline is:

  - what's your niche? 1 slide for "how we think our project fits into
the ecosystem"
  - what can we learn from you? 1 or 2 of the more unique features of
your approach that other folks might want to know about / surprising
things you've learned along the way.
  - how can we help you? 2 or 3 (or more) issues that you care about
and that you think might benefit from cross-project collaboration
(e.g. the kinds of challenges mentioned on the workshop homepage)
  - anything else you particular want to mention up front to spur discussion

So this could easily be like a ~6 slide presentation with one slide
per each of those points.

AFAIK the following projects are definitely planning to have
representatives present (alphabetical order): GT-Py, HOPE, Numba,
Pyjion, PyPy, Pyston.
Could one person from each project please send me an email -- off-list
is fine -- letting me know that you've read this and confirming that
you're happy to prepare for the above (or not!)? If you don't then I
will nag you until you do :-). Just want to avoid anyone being caught
by surprise...

4) Hopefully by this point we'll have identified some common problems;
split into groups to talk about those.

...and go from there.

Timing:

We have the room 8am - 5:30pm on Monday and Tuesday. 8am seems a bit
ambitious though as a start time, esp. since I know a lot of folks
(like me) are coming from 2 timezones west. How about 9:30am?

-n