[PYTHON-CRYPTO] Okay, I'll break the ice... :)

Michael Ströder michael at STROEDER.COM
Thu Feb 8 09:15:47 CET 2001

Bryan Mongeau wrote:

> Wow, a fresh list. I love it. :)
>
> This post will probably be read only by Michael and I but oh well...

Fortunately you're wrong. There have been around 20 subscriptions up
to now.

I have something in mind like (lay man's version and very short)

import crypto

# Search for a implementation providing AES, use the first available
aes = crypto.locate_alg('aes')
# Set the currently used key object
aes.setKey(key)
# Encrypt the clear text
ciphertext = aes.encrypt(cleartext)

etc.

Note that key is also meant as key object, an instance of an
appropriate key storage class. I started to write a draft proposal
but I'm stuck since I have to get some urgent work done.

I'd like to encourage everyone interested in a generic class API to
take a look at
http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/1.3/docs/guide/security/ which
makes me really jealous...

Ciao, Michael.