[PYTHON-CRYPTO] SIG thoughts.

Michael Ströder michael at STROEDER.COM
Sun Feb 11 17:39:26 CET 2001

Andrew Kuchling wrote:

> I like the idea of a registry for crypto functions similar to
> the one for Unicode codecs.  Codecs have a flat namespace; do
> we want find_alg('MD5') or find_alg('MD5', type='hash') or
> find_hash_alg('MD5')?  In other words, do we
> have to know ahead of time that MD5 is a hash algorithm, or can
> we get an instance first without knowing what the algorithm
> actually does?

I vote for a flat name space represented by a string and a single
factory class/function returning a hash/cipher/protocol object.

JCE does it like this and OpenSSL uses a flat name space for the
algorithms either. We should re-use either the name space of JCE or
of OpenSSL.

> >Should be matter of local policy either defined in a global config
> >file by a system administrator knowing what to do or defined...
>
> Does someone want to write a proposed interface for the registration and
> search functions, and the config file?

I planned to write one. But first I will write down the
requirements.

Ciao, Michael.