[PYTHON-CRYPTO] PyCrypto Draft: Proposal 2001-02-18

Andrew Archibald aarchiba at YAHOO.COM
Wed Feb 21 19:12:19 CET 2001

On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 05:09:41PM +0100, Michael Str?der wrote:
> Andrew Archibald wrote:
> >
> > I should point out, that if you do this, then it shouldn't be called
> > getImplementation.  I'd be tempted to just call it 'get'.
>
> Why?

On general principles I prefer to have names be as simple and direct as
possible.  If this function is in the module PyCrypto.registry, and the
only thing that ever gets returned is classes, then all you need to know is
that the function is called get().  If there are three or four different
types of things that can be obtained, or if the name of the module doesn't
make it clear what you can expect to obtain when you call the funciton,
then by all means make it more detailed (although I still prefer
underscores (get_foo) to studlycaps (getFoo) I realize that I am in the
minority)

Thanks,
Andrew