[python-crypto] Add AES to amkCrypto?

PC Drew drewpc at colorado.edu
Wed Jan 31 15:51:07 CET 2001

MAL> Michael Ströder wrote:
>>
>> PC Drew wrote:
>> >
>> > I just read on Python-URL! that someone has released the new AES in
>> > python. (http://deja.com/=dnc/getdoc.xp?AN=720935577)  I also
>> > expressed interest in creating an encryption sig and was told of
>> > amkCrytpo and m2crypto.
>>
>> IMHO the main problem for application and crypto lib developers is
>> the lack of a standard API. Crypto lib developers are designing new
>> APIs every time and application developers have to deal with the
>> different APIs.
>> => there should be a standard class library which abstracts from
>> various algorithms and their implementation etc.
>>
>> This would save time...

MAL> The API designed by Andrew Kuchling is the defacto standard
MAL> for interfacing to crypto algorithms in Python. His pycrypt
MAL> library has been around for many years and suits the task very well.

I didn't know that his API was the defacto standard, but I like the
way he has it organized.  I'm not saying that we should start from the
drawing board, I'm only saying that we should document a formal API
for writing crypto algorithms and publish it (on python.org?).  Then
trying to get that in the Python distribution.  You're saying it's the
defacto standard, all I'm proposing is that we actually make a
standard and use Andrew's code as the framework.

MAL> There's really no need to design yet another API...

MAL> As for integrating AES into amkCrypto, I think the best way is
MAL> to wait until OpenSLL has support for it and then integrate
MAL> that support into amkCrypto.

Just out of curiosity, why do you think that?  I don't know anything
about the development of OpenSSL so I don't know how they do things.
Why wouldn't it be prudent to "just do it"?

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details
http://click.egroups.com/1/11231/1/_/22498/_/980953786/