[PYTHON-CRYPTO] Near-term projects for pycrypto

Andrew Kuchling akuchlin at mems-exchange.org
Tue Nov 20 16:39:28 CET 2001

On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 02:56:33AM -0000, Paul Rubin wrote:
>How about saying what the goals of pycrypto are, before going into
>specific changes?  But I'll react based on the idea that it's a
>general purpose crypto lib.

General purpose, yes, but I'd like to define public-key stuff as a
separate package because it's much less clear what the interface for
public-key should be.  For example, in another e-mail you suggest that
IEEE P.1363 should be implemented, but it's not clear why that's
preferable to PKCS.  Perhaps 1363 just formalizes PKCS, in which case
the example

Block encryption should be much easier; after we've squabbled over the
interface a bit and settled on the list of supported feedback modes,
the rest is just a matter of implementation, and it should be possible
to get a release done in a month or two.

>If the pycrypto implementations are better (e.g., faster), then keep them.
>Otherwise drop them.

No difference -- the SHA module included with Python is a tidied-up
version of the pycrypto code.

--amk