[PYTHON-CRYPTO] First draft of secret-key encryption PEP

Rich Salz rsalz at ZOLERA.COM
Tue Sep 18 16:56:31 CEST 2001

For symmetric keys is it really important to distinguish between encrypt
and decrypt?  Or rather to insist on it?

Particularly as these are typically bulk encryption, I think a
file-oriented interface is more useful (and important -- i don't want to
keep two copies of my divx encoded video stream in core :).  Something
like
        arc4 = ARC4(.....
        arc.write('......')
        plain = arc4.read()
etc.  read and write calls can be intermixed.

--
Zolera Systems, Your Key to Online Integrity
Securing Web services: XML, SOAP, Dig-sig, Encryption