[PYTHON-CRYPTO] Reviving PEP 247: Hashing API

Bram Cohen bram at GAWTH.COM
Thu Sep 20 19:45:54 CEST 2001

On Thu, 20 Sep 2001, Andrew Kuchling wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 11:43:20PM -0700, Itamar S.-T. wrote:
> >--- Andrew Kuchling <akuchlin at MEMS-EXCHANGE.ORG>
> >What is the point of having a reset() method at all?
>
> Erm... umm... hmm...  good point.  reset() isn't in Python's built-in
> md5 and SHA modules at all, so it's an addition from the cryptography
> modules.  I was younger and stupider in those days, so reset()
> probably seemed like a good idea at the time.
>
> So, forget it; I'll rip reset() out of the PEP and post it to
> c.l.py.announce for any final comments, but the API is now done.

The mark of a mature programmer is willingness to throw out code you spent
time on when you realize it's pointless :-)

-Bram Cohen

"Markets can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent"
                                        -- John Maynard Keynes