[PYTHON-CRYPTO] aes library

Bram Cohen bram at GAWTH.COM
Thu Apr 4 07:03:22 CEST 2002

Paul Rubin wrote:

> You guys know about this, right?
>
>   http://sourceforge.net/projects/cryptkit/

I don't like it's API, although it's got some working Python->C hooks for
a what I believe is a fast AES implementation (unlike the one optimized
for ease of dealing with which I'm using.)

> It's a successor to PyAES, which I had fooled around a while ago and
> had forgotten about.  It adds several modules:
>
>     CryptKit is a small, fast cryptographic toolkit for python. It
>     implements Rijndael(AES), SHA 256, Elliptic Curve PKI, Diffie-Hellman
>     key exchange and Nyberg-Ruppel signature/verification. Comprehensive
>     enough to provide a secure socket alternative to SSL.

I don't think there's a need for DH and the like to be in the standard
libs, since we have built-in modular exponentiation, which is all you need
to build them in pure Python. Those modules probably are handy though.

> Is Brian Mongeau (the author) on this list?

I dunno, he seems hard to reach - I spoke to him on IRC once, and have
mailed him since, but haven't heard back...

-Bram Cohen

"Markets can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent"
                                        -- John Maynard Keynes