[PYTHON-CRYPTO] PEP 272 version 2

Andrew Kuchling akuchlin at mems-exchange.org
Thu Apr 18 22:09:57 CEST 2002

On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 07:54:53PM -0000, Paul Rubin wrote:
>HAVAL or TIGER, they can be added without any fuss.  Yet there's no
>PEP for hash function API's and there doesn't need to be one.

That would be PEP 247, "API for Cryptographic Hash Functions", and
posted to this list way back when.

>has any meaning, it's for that situation.  When our AES module doesn't
>follow the PEP chapter and verse--and it won't-- Guido (or whoever) is
>going to look at the submission and say "Why doesn't it follow the
>PEP?  Please revise it til it does."  The possible resolutions are:

No he won't, because PEP 272 is informational.  (I'll spank him if he
does...)

>I do like the idea of a cryptography PEP for Python, but IMO it should
>be at a much higher architectural level than PEP 272, i.e. it should
>be more along the lines of JCA.  I'd be happy to help write such a PEP
>after the AES module is done.

Go for it!

--amk                                                             (www.amk.ca)
[Thomas] Paine is useful as a rabble-rouser; but rabble-rousers are needed
before revolutions, not after.
    -- St. Just, in SANDMAN #29: "Thermidor"