[PYTHON-CRYPTO] things missing from PEP 272

phil hunt philh at COMUNO.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Mon Mar 18 13:04:43 CET 2002

On Monday 18 March 2002  6:00 am, Paul Rubin wrote:
> The standard NIST cipher modes are defined in this document
>
>     http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/nistpubs/800-38a/sp800-38a.pdf
>
>     The modes it gives are CBC, ECB, CFB, OFB, and CTR, the last two of
> which are missing from PEP 272. Some further justification for CTR is
> given here -
>
>     http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~daw/papers/ctr-aes00.ps
>
>     I'd really like CTR to ship with Python because, well, I'm using it,
> and it's the only thing keeping my app from being pure Python :-)
>
> I agree that CTR mode should be included.  I think OFB and CFB modes
> can be dropped.  I think PGP mode should be be dropped unless someone
> specifically wants to write a PGP-compatible application.

I think it's a reasonable assumption that someone might want to do that.

PGP is a fairly well-known application.

--
<"><"><"> Philip Hunt <philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk> <"><"><">
"I would guess that he really believes whatever is politically