[PYTHON-CRYPTO] Encryption and Python

Heikki Toivonen heikki at OSAFOUNDATION.ORG
Mon Jan 10 20:35:45 CET 2005

Gagnesh Kumar wrote:
> I agree that you had tried to help as much as you could but I was looking
> for some solution for which I wouldn't have to do any tweaking and I found
> that in pyCrypto.I was looking for something like the following links
> whereby I could get not only easy to install 'free' software but also the
> documentation and stuff:
> http://www.amk.ca/python/code/crypto.html
> http://www.voidspace.org.uk/atlantibots/pythonutils.html
> http://www.amk.ca/python/writing/pycrypt/
>
> Thanks again for your help and I am sure that there might be similar links
> for M2Crypto;it's just that I could not find them.

M2Crypto has a lot of documentation for it because it is a wrapper for
OpenSSL. The naming convention is very straight forward, so 9 times out
of 10 you can find what you want from OpenSSL documentation. The rest of
the time you need to look at M2Crypto code to see what it does, and in
some rare cases you may need to ask on this list or somewhere...

There are even printed books that discuss OpenSSL (some even mention
M2Crypto!). "Network Security with OpenSSL" has the most comprehensive
documentation.

M2Crypto comes with unit tests and demos which are great in telling you
how to do things.

And if you were looking for M2Crypto homepage it does have one,
http://sandbox.rulemaker.net/ngps/m2/. There you can find automatically
generated API documentation etc.

PS. Ng, you might want to make it clear on M2Crypto website that people
can get good documentation from OpenSSL resources (for all the
underlaying stuff). http://www.openssl.org/docs/ and
http://www.openssl.org/support/ (searching the archives is very useful).

--
   Heikki Toivonen