[PYTHON-CRYPTO] Anyone depending on M2Crypto and Python < 2.3?

Scott Moynes scott.moynes at GMAIL.COM
Mon May 30 23:14:58 CEST 2005

Heikki,

I think the most prudent way to decide whether to make Python 2.3 or
greater a requirement is to check which platforms have not yet
upgraded. I don't see a reason why M2Crypto should maintain support
for a release that is not being similarly supported by its vendor.

I know that the last SUSE Linux release to ship with Python 2.2 was
release 8.2, which has been discontinued and is unsupported. I think
that at least FreeBSD and Red Hat's supported releases also have at
least Python 2.3; not sure about others, but seeing as Python 2.3 was
released almost 2 years ago, I think it is safe to assume that anyone
with reason enough to stay with an old release also has reason enough
to either patch M2Crypto or build a recent Python release. :)

Cheers,
--
Scott Moynes
"The purpose of computing is insight, not numbers." - Richard W. Hamming