[PYTHON-CRYPTO] OBJ_* ASN1_OBJECT functions

Heikki Toivonen heikki at OSAFOUNDATION.ORG
Fri Jul 13 19:50:28 CEST 2007

Pavel Shramov wrote:
> As for m2crypto revision 576 (trunk) there are no OBJ_ functions to
> manipulate with ASN1_OBJECTS (OIDs). They are needed to convert
> X509_Name_Entry to something usable. Since current implementation (after
> r538) is much more friendly it's difficult to deal with subjects.
>
> Maybe attached patch will be useful.

Thanks, I'll see about putting this on the trunk soonish.

> Also what's your opinion on representing X509 Name and Name Entry as
> some native python data types with marshalling functions?
>
> For example Name Entry is equivalent to native tuple of 2 elements -
> OID and Data. Name is list of Name Entries. No binding to OpenSSL
> except of marshalling functions for Name and NE. So one may work
> with names as native types. As for current state every new
> manipulation function, e.g. element deletion, must be
> implemented as FFI call of OpenSSL library.

It would be great if we didn't need to worry about backwards
compatibility. I don't think it can be put into M2Crypto at this point.
(It does have one minor weakness, in that tuple is not as
self-documenting as a class.)

--
  Heikki Toivonen