[PYTHON-CRYPTO] M2Crypto 0.18 Roadmap

Kershaw, PJ (Philip) P.J.Kershaw at RL.AC.UK
Fri Jun 8 13:30:52 CEST 2007

Hi Heikki,

I have a couple of requests for enhancements.  Apologies if you have these already on Bugzilla.  I'm new to this process.

 * I made an alteration to the setup.py so that you can create an egg and also, use build_ext options to set which OpenSSL to link with:

http://glue.badc.rl.ac.uk/ndg/browser/TI12-security/branches/Dependencies/m2crypto/setup.py

I know you can do this with the --openssl option already but if I do it with build_ext its more flexible.  In particular it means if I include an M2Crypto.tar.gz as a dependency link for another egg I can also pass build_ext args to determine the OpenSSL link location.

 * I'd like to be able to read ASN1 format from a string.  To do this I added in a wrapper to OpenSSL d2i_X509_bio() but is there an alternative way to do this with the existing M2Crypto interface?

 * I have a question about the handling of proxy certificate DNs.  X509_Name.CN will yield only one value even if there are multiple CN entries:

>>> from M2Crypto import *
>>> x509=X509.load_cert('cert.pem')
>>> x509subj=x509.get_subject()
>>> str(x509subj)
'/O=a/OU=b/CN=A.N.Other/CN=proxy'
>>> x509subj.CN
'A.N.Other'

Is this right or is there another to do this?

Cheers,
Phil