[Python-cuba] Cuban Python Programmer in Córdoba, Argentina.

Alejandro Zamora Fonseca ale2014.zamora at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 12:23:59 EST 2015

Hi all!, I think you have been reading my name in many mails( specially
those coming from my friend and coleague Pablo Gabriel Celayes) and maybe
wondering about who I am all this time. Sorry about that. Maybe I'm somehow
afraid due to my limited English vocabulary :)

So, I introduce myself, I'm a Cuban Computer Scentist, graduate in
Universidad de Oriente, Santiago de Cuba on 2009. I met python since 2011,
but only in last two years I've been using it in true "real world" projects
working together with my friend Pablo.

I want to tell you about a few things I've been doing here in Córdoba,
focusing on Python Meetup accomplished on December 4, on Machinalis (local
software company) place.

That day organizers ask me if I wanted to talk about my Python experiences
and then my speech was added to Meetup schedule. I accepted with joy.
I told him in the speech how I met Python, how Pyar mailing list users,
specially my friend Pablo, help me to get better as a Python programmer
(even using most time e-mail only communications due to Cuban Internet
limitations), I told about how I see the Python community movement in my
country and finally how Python would be a good technology choice specially
for Cuba.

It was very exciting to see at the end of my speech, how many argentinian
coleagues came to me with ideas, others with questions and even others
asking me directly saying: "How can I help to Cuban python programmers".
Even some of them are ,since that nigth, on this mailing list, thougt. It's
a wonderful community that is ready to help us even more in this birth we
are experimenting.

Now I  try to higligths some the obstacles I think are for python in Cuba,
from my point of view. I point that I'not a citizen from Havana and perhaps
this fact not give you the exactly information but well, is a point of view.

I agree with the fact that the most obviuos think affecting us(not only to
Python programmers but to all Informatics coleagues) are Internet
limitations related with access on whole country for citizens, speed, cost,
quality but there are other troubles...

There are limitations applying even when you have an Internet connection,
some of them are linked to local government as restrictions but the most
part are due to the US government blockade. I mean, its a known reality
thats there are not many jobs opportunities to Cuban programmers(all of
them) on the Island who wants get motivation of work on real projects, join
to great software companys and learn more in the process, but what about to
search online for remotely work? Well it's limited too, but by the US
government blockade, if you look at most famous freelance sites(Upwork,
Workana, etc)  it doesn't allow Cubans as freelancers users because of OFAC
sanctions to Cuba. Yes, you can use a proxy or Tor or something else(wich
Cuban government doesn't aprove due to security concerns) but then it's too
dificult getting payments from this sites, because the payment methods most
used (PayPal, Skrill, Payoneer) are blocked too for my country and in
general there are many sites and www services that are forbidden for Cubans.

For that reasons I know many coleagues disappointed about their profession
and changing to work on something else. It's a pity because there are a big
number of Informatics-related colleges career in that situation.

For other part, I'm very happy to know that things are getting better in
Havana as the epicenter, but I think we most try to move the community to
other places too because is a common problem in my country that most of
things only ocurred in Havana and not in the rest of provinces and cities.

And well, that's it for now,  I'm still in Córdoba but I'm want to
contribute as much as I can to emerge a strong Cuban Python community, feel
free to write anytime :)

Merry Christmas!

Alejandro