[Python-cuba] Stepping down

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Thu Jul 16 22:56:20 CEST 2015

Hi Luan,

Thanks for writing. I am still digesting the news that Roberto is effectively being forced by "public" opinion to step down from a position where his leadership and local knowledge would be inestimably valuable. So I will be writing more on the topic, and I'll Cc this list when I do (or follow me @holdenweb).

In fact there was very little evidence against Roberto from anyone but the single person you mentioned, and as I wrote to her on this list I found none of it convincing, Until I am persuaded otherwise I shall continue to regard it as an unjustified attack against Roberto. It was very noticeable that the person left this list to seek other ways to attack him when it became obvious that nobody was persuaded by her arguments.

I don't know Roberto personally (tbh I can't ever remember us meeting, though it's possible we did when I was in various PSF positions), but I cannot believe unfounded allegations about anyone. That this situation has expanded to threaten his working life is intolerable but, sadly, predictable. I believe my responses to her emails were always civil: however we feel about a person or situation there is no excuse for incivility or rudeness (though I have been guilty of both many times, I try to do better). I believe she chose to leave[1] *because* we would not take immediate action. I now wish I had been a little ruder.

Anyway, thank you for your email. I am glad to know that your opinion and those of your friends concurs with mine, and thank you for taking the troupe to write.

regards
 Steve

[1] Though, for all I know, she may still be lurking: that's OK too.

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com / +44 208 289 6308 / @holdenweb