[Python-cuba] Official PSF Workgroup - Python Cuba

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 03:05:31 CEST 2015

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 3:41 PM, Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just wanted to say that I may not be very active in this working group,
> as I have just accepted a full-time position in London.

Congrats on the successful relocation!

Readers will be interested to know that Sir Steve was in erstwhile resident
of Portland, Oregon, my home town, site for OSCON (Open Source Convention)
and a big PSF Pycon, next two years (2016, 2017).

> I will continue as a member, however, and if you have specific needs or
> questions that you think I might help with I hope you will feel free to
> ask. I remain committed to helping make PyCon Cuba (under whatever name our
> Cuban friends prefer) happen.
>
> regards
>  Steve

Steve was the original catalyst for Pycons, starting in Washington DC.

He continued producing useful open source geek conferences:   ApacheCon,
DjangoCon, GOSCON and more.

In other words, he's an experienced event producer and well worth tapping,
if one does wish advice!

Steve, I learned at O'Reilly faculty meeting today that we're to defer our
spots to paying customers.  Patrick and I can still go, me on the Program
Committee and Patrick a speaker, but the rest of us should not expect hotel
or airfare -- except the school principal was already booked so lets make
sure she enjoys herself.  :-D

OSCON has outgrown Portland in other words, with hotels already mostly
booked.  That explains the move to Austin next year, a bigger venue.
Congrats to OSCON on its being such a success!  (Portland still has OS
Bridge for those staying behind).

I'd love to one day get to some PyEvent in Cuba but I realize the odds are
against it (not because we won't have those events, but because long
distance travel is expensive).

That doesn't dampen my enthusiasm in any way however.  I've learned to
participate vicariously, via streaming and recorded video.  Even if it's an
event I was at, I always miss more than I take in.  :-D

Kirby