[Python-cuba] [PSF-Members] Fwd: Python Cuba working group

Luciano Ramalho luciano at ramalho.org
Sun May 10 14:59:15 CEST 2015

Welcome, Sebastián!

I'll follow your lead and introduce myself and a bit about Python in
Brazil. I've been using Python since 1998, and evangelizing and
teaching it in Brazil since 1999. The Brazilian Python community has
had yearly national events since 2005 -- the conference is called
PythonBrasil (one word). Since 2008 we've had several foreign keynote
speakers in PythonBrasil. Lynn Root, Daniel Greenfeld, Audrey Roy
Greenfeld, Fernando Perez, Tarek Ziadé and Alex Gaynor were our guest
speakers in 2014.

I helped incorporate the Brazilian Python Association (APyB) and was
elected its president for two terms. The APyB implements the
"Institution" interface which the community needs to sign contracts,
accept sponsorships and make payments, all of which are needed to run
an event.

A few years ago I had the privilege of interacting with Pedro Urra
when he was director of BIREME, a documentation center of the PAHO
(Pan-American Health Organization) located in São Paulo, where I live.
I jumped at the opportunity to help the Python Cuba working group
because I was very impressed with the work of Pedro and of all the
Cubans I met while at BIREME, and it would be a pleasure to
collaborate with them again.

¡Saludos!

Luciano

On Sun, May 10, 2015 at 9:18 AM, Sebastián Magrí <sebasmagri at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'd like to offer my help for this initiative.
>
> I've been doing Python advocacy in Venezuela the last 8 years. During that
> time, I had the opportunity to work with a group of devs from the Cuban
> university of computer science (UCI [0]) and I still have some contacts
> there.
>
> We recently established a foundation in Venezuela to help with the promotion
> of Python, and we're open to participate in initiatives in Latin America and
> the Caribbean.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> [0] http://www.uci.cu/

>> Hello everyone!
>>
>> I'm really happy about seeing this begin to take some shape and you can
>> definitely count on me to help a first Python event in Cuba become a
>> reality.
>>
>> I have Cuban colleague that I am working with remotely, and we had the
>> idea of organizing a small PyDay next year when I visit him ( that will be
>> around a year from now).
>>
>> In the meantime, some other cuban developers have started their own plans
>> to develop a local community, I have already contacted some of them and
>> offered help:
>>
>> https://humanos.uci.cu/2015/04/convocatoriacomunidad-python-cuba/
>> https://twitter.com/pythoncuba
>> https://twitter.com/COsielRV
>>
>> If you want we can have a hangout or chat one of these days to define some
>> lines of action to start with.
>>
>> Thanks David once again for turning this into a serious thing ;)
>>
>> On Fri, May 8, 2015 at 9:28 AM, David Mertz <mertz at gnosis.cx> wrote:
>>>
>>> That's wonderful, Roberto.  Let me make you Chair of the committee, and
>>> keep myself as Vice-Chair (but not co-chair).  I'll add you permissions to
>>> the mailing list.
>>>
>>> Thank you so much, David....

Luciano Ramalho