[Python-cuba] At least "scuba" rhymes with "cuba"

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Sun May 31 23:00:06 CEST 2015

This might seem off topic at first, however it relates
to PSF in that we talk a lot about our Code of Conduct,
which has a lot to do with our not coming off like jerks
in a host country and not being invited back.  Some
people will be locals, like in Vilnius that time, with the
rest of us coming from overseas.  That's a typical
EuroPython as well.

Given a large Pycon may attract geeks from faraway
places, there may be no initial agreement on some
customs and having codes is a natural consequence.

Given globalization, we all pretty much know the standard
icons used in airports and don't go barging into the
wrong restroom by mistake.  Even here though, the
practice evolves.

Switching gears now, I'm a NAUI-trained scuba diver.

My teacher was a professional diver who recovered
stuff lost overboard or took pictures of hull damage
or whatever (I was never a professional diver, only
sports, meaning < 120 feet and following Dive Tables
for sports people, to avoid any danger of bends or
other health risks -- still easy to die from stupid mistakes).

What I really absorbed as values was never to harm
the precious seascape i.e. to not go out there and make
things worse.  Taking pictures is fine, but do we really
need to be skewering parrot fish.  Probably not, right?
Don't mess with the corals.  Learn to be respectful
of a natural local environment.

So in general what I'd like, if we contemplate Pycons
anywhere where privileged geeks might take up
scuba diving as a sport, that we not be offering lightning
talk spotlights to people who "club the seals" if you
know what I mean, i.e. lets not stumble into a situation
where it looks like "we of Python" condone thoughtless
behaviors towards pristine marine environments.

Bookmark this thought for future consideration?

Obviously my memories of the Philippines color my
thinking about any PyEvents in the balmy tropics,
where beaches and fanciful fish are sometimes
encountered.

Monty Python sketch mentioned herein:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/473027-why-arent-more-people-taking-up-scuba-diving.html

(couldn't find a Youtube version....)