Linux is 'creating' memory ?!

Linus Torvalds torvalds at cc.Helsinki.FI
Thu Mar 16 07:08:16 CET 1995

In article <3k3i4c$341 at vixen.cso.uiuc.edu>,
Steve Peltz <peltz at cerl.uiuc.edu> wrote:

>Doesn't an mmap'ed segment get swapped to the file itself (other than
>ANON)? Why would it need to reserve swap space?

Check out MAP_PRIVATE, which is actually the one that is used a lot more
than MAP_SHARED (and is the only form fully implemented under linux,
just for that reason).

>>2) GNU emacs (ugh) wants to start up a shell script.  In the meantime,
>>   GNU emacs has (as it's wont to do) grown to 17 MB, and you obviously
>>   don't have much memory left. Do you accept the fork?
>
>So you have 17MB of swap space that you have to have free for a millisecond
>in order to fork a process from a huge process. Is that such a problem? It
>will be freed up almost immediately.

Are all people writing to this thread so arrogant?

"is it so hard to do?" "is 17MB of swapspace for a millisecond a
problem?" "Why can DOS do it and Linux not do it?" "Use vfork() instead
of fork()" etc etc..

It IS damned hard to do.

Using 17MB of swap-space is HORRIBLE on a PC.  I have around 500MB of
disk on my two linux-machines, and 17MB of that is noticeable.  Others
have *much* less.

The next time somebody tells me "harddisks sell for 50c/MB", I'll
scream.  LINUX WAS NOT MEANT TO BE ANOTHER WINDOWS NT! YOU AREN'T
SUPPOSED TO NEED EXTRA RESOURCES TO RUN IT.

People, PLEASE wake up!

It's NOT a good thing to require lots of memory and lots of disk.

It IS a good thing to take full advantage of the available resources.

Requiring swap backingstore by definition doesn't take full advantage of
your system resources.

You pay the price, of course: linux uses your machine more efficiently,
but if you're running low on memory it means that you're walking on the
edge.  That's something I accept.  Take the good with the bad: there is
no free lunch.

And please, don't WHINE.

>> - vfork() isn't an option.  Trust me on this one.  vfork is *ugly*.
>>   Besides, we might actually want to run the same process concurrently.
>
>Actually, making the only difference between vfork and fork be whether
>swap space gets committed would be a pretty good solution (and don't
>worry about the other *ugly* parts of vfork, since it isn't implemented
>anyway you aren't breaking anything that isn't already broken). However,
>I am loathe to suggest actually making a use for vfork, as people would
>then use it, thus creating more inconsistency in the world.

Make up your mind: do you want to be safe, or don't you?

>>3) you have a nice quiescent little program that uses about 100kB of
>>   memory, and has been a good little boy for the last 5 minutes.  Now
>>   it obviously wants to do something, so it forks 10 times.  Do we
>>   accept it?
>
>Yes. In any scenario. I don't understand how this applies to the current
>problem. If one of the forked processes is unable to allocate more memory
>to do something, then it fails; if it is doing malloc, then it can detect
>the failure by the result, rather than getting a segment violation.

It *is* the current problem.

Remember, we aren't talking about 1 process, here.  If we were, the
problem would be as simple as it is under DOS, and I could *easily* make
linux return NULL on any memory allocation request that doesn't fit in
the current VM.

However, we have a dynamic system running tens of active programs, some
of which have more importance for the user than others, but the kernel
doesn't know that and has no way of knowing.  Oh yes, you could try to
analyze the system, but then you'd have something that is slower than
Windows NT..

>>4) You have a nice little 4MB machine, no swap, and you don't run X.
>>   Most programs use shared libraries, and everybody is happy.  You
>>   don't use GNU emacs, you use "ed", and you have your own trusted
>>   small-C compiler that works well.  Does the system accept this?
>
>Sure, if there's no swap, there's nothing to over-commit.

What? There's physical memory, and you sure as hell are overcommitting
that.  You're sharing pages left and right, which is why the system
still works perfectly well for you.  But those pages are mostly COW, so
you're really living on borrowed memory.  But it *works*, which is the
point.

>> - NO, DEFINITELY NOT.  Each shared library in place actually takes up
>>   600kB+ of virtual memory, and the system doesn't *know* that nothing
>>   starts using these pages in all the processes alive.  Now, with just
>>   10 processes (a small make, and all the deamons), the kernel is
>>   actually juggling more than 6MB of virtual memory in the shared
>>   libraries alone, although only a fraction of that is actually in use
>>   at that time.
>
>Shared libraries should not be writeable. Are you saying they are, and are
>C-O-W?

Yup, they're COW.  Dynamic linking etc means that you have to write at
least to the jump tables, and possibly do other fixups as well.  On the
other hand, most programs *won't* do any fixups, because they use the
standard C libraries and don't redefine "malloc()", for example.  So you
want to be able to share the pages, but on the other hand you want to
have the possibility of modifying them on a per-process basis.  COW.

>Whenever a writeable non-mmap'ed non-shared segment is allocated to the
>address space (whether by sbrk, mmap with ANON, or fork), each such page
>needs to have space reserved out of swap. Linus, you talk about deadlock -
>deadlock can only occur when you actually try to prevent errors caused by
>overcommitment of resources.

Right. And we are overcommitting our resources, and rather heavily at
that.

Why? Simply because it results in a usable system, which wouldn't be
usable otherwise.

>			 Causing an error due to such overcommitment
>is not what is usually meant by deadlock avoidance. Deadlock is what might
>happen if a process were to be suspended when it tries to access memory that
>is not actually available after it has been allocated (and, since Unix
>doesn't have any sort of resource utilization declarations to be declared
>by a program, deadlock avoidance can not be done at the system level).

I have some dim idea what deadlock means, and what linux gets into when
running low on memory IS a form of dead-lock, sometimes called
"livelock".  The processes aren't suspended per se, but are in an
eternal loop fighting for resources (memory, in this case).  The kernel
tries to resolve it, and eventually will probably kill one of the
programs, but yes, it's a deadlock situation once we've overextended out
VM.

It's easy to say "don't overextend", but what I'm trying to make clear
is that it's not even *close* to easy to actually avoid it.  And it's
impossible to avoid it if you want to keep the good features of the
linux memory management.

			Linus

--ELM967624779-23128-0_--