[Python-Dev] Notice of intent: rich comparisons

Jim Fulton jim at digicool.com
Wed Apr 21 23:15:24 CEST 1999

David Beazley wrote:

> Guido van Rossum writes:
> >
> > ANSI C
> >
> >       I'm tired of supporting K&R C.  All code should be converted
> >       to using prototypes.  The Py_PROTO macros should go.  We can
> >       add const-correctness to all code.  Too bad for platforms
> >       without decent compilers (let them get GCC).
> >

> Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've written nothing but ANSI C for the last
> 8 years and have never had a problem compiling it on any machine.  I
> don't see this as being a huge issue.

I've had the same experience with things like prototypes.
The recent introduction of indented preprocessor instructions
caused me significant pain on some platforms.  Fortunately, I
haven't had to deal with those platforms recently, still, the elegence
of indented preporicessor instructions wasn't worth the pain it caused.

As far as choice of compilers goes, sometimes gcc isn't an option.
I've had cases where I *had* to use the native compiler in order to
link to third-party libraries.

I support moving to ANSI C, for example, wrt prototypes, but
lets still be somewhat sensative to portability and not abuse
bad compilers without good reason.

> > Misc
> >

> Depending on how deep I want to dig, I may have some patches to
> ParseTuple() that would make life easier for some of us extension
> writing fans.  As it is right now, my experimental version of Swig
> is using it's own version of ParseTuple (for various reasons).
> Also, out of curiousity, is anyone making heavy use of the CObject
> type right now?

Yes.

Jim

--