[Python-Dev] Compiling ANSI C on K&R compilers

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Fri Apr 23 09:48:14 CEST 1999

> Besides, aren't there tools available that can strip most of the ANSI-ness
> out of ANSI C?  (Un)Protoize?  For those (few?) people who are really still
> stuck using a K&R compiler I would think those tools, perhaps supplemented
> with some patch files maintained outside the main Python source tree, would
> be sufficient.

I mentioned ansi2knr.c in an earlier post.  It's a small utility,
and can be distributed with the Python core (it's GPL'd, but
since it isn't linked with Python, that's not a problem).

this is used by ghostscript and the ijg jpeg library, among
others:

ftp://ftp.cs.wisc.edu/ghost/ansi2knr.c
(or via http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/)

Cheers /F