[Python-Dev] Why unbundle Tools and Demo?

David Ascher da at ski.org
Mon Apr 26 21:12:54 CEST 1999

Several people argue for unbundling Tools/ and Demo/ in 1.6.  I'd like to
argue to leave them in.  They're not especially big, and IMHO they are
quite valuable, *especially* to the novice user.  In fact, I'd like to
argue that Demo/ should be promoted to the same status as Tools/ (by which
I mean included in the Windows binary distribution). Unbundling Tools/
would mean unbundling IDLE, which IMHO would be a big strategic mistake.

However, I wouldn't be against a cleanup of said directories.  Some things
should probably be removed (anything which uses stdwin), some of the code
in classes is showing its age (notes about "being upgraded for Python 1.1"
=), etc.  That said, the tkinter/ directory is the best place to look for
simple Tkinter code, and should be included, IMHO.

--david