[Python-Dev] LLNL C++ as base for Python 2?

David Ascher da at ski.org
Wed Apr 28 19:24:00 CEST 1999

On Wed, 28 Apr 1999, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> > Have we been talking about Python 2 or Python 1.6?  If we're talking about
> > Python 2, has anyone given a serious look at the LLNL gang's C++/Python
> > stuff?  If I recall Paul Dubois' talk at the last conference, it sounded
> > like their work made it much easier to implement extension modules.
>
> I've mostly had 1.6 in mind.  See recent traffic in the C++ SIG
> archives for the status of Paul's CXX.

Recent traffic?  There's nothing in there that's substantive since... uh,
well, I got tired of looking back. =)

CXX is very cool, but it is still pushing the envelope of many C++
compilers.  From what I gather, recent egcs' do manage with it, and since
egcs is going to replace gcc, I expect that many platforms will be able to
"do" CXX relatively soon.

I vote to stay on the 1.6 track for now.