[Python-Dev] marshal (was:Buffer interface in abstract.c? )

Fred L. Drake, Jr. Fred L. Drake, Jr." <fdrake@acm.org
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 11:32:40 -0400 (EDT)

M.-A. Lemburg writes:
 > Aside: Is the buffer interface reachable in any way from within
 > Python ? Why isn't the interface exposed via __XXX__ methods
 > on normal Python instances (could be implemented by returning a
 > buffer object) ?

  Would it even make sense?  I though a large part of the intent was
to for performance, avoiding memory copies.  Perhaps there should be
an .__as_buffer__() which returned an object that supports the C
buffer interface.  I'm not sure how useful it would be; perhaps for
classes that represent image data?  They could return a buffer object
created from a string/array/NumPy array.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.	     <fdrake@acm.org>