[Python-Dev] Portable and OS-dependent module idea/proposal/brain fart

Wed, 18 Aug 1999 10:54:11 -0500 (CDT)

    >> The proposal then is that importing the
    >> platform's module by name will import both the portable and non-portable
    >> interface elements.  Importing the posix module will import just that
    >> portion of the interface that is truly portable across all platforms.

    Jack> There's one slight problem with this: when you use functionality that is
    Jack> partially portable, i.e. a call that is available on Windows and Unix but not
    Jack> on the Mac.

Agreed.  I'm not sure what to do there.  Is the intersection of the common
OS calls on Unix, Windows and Mac so small as to be useless (or are there
some really gotta have functions not in the intersection because they are
missing only on the Mac)?

Skip