[Python-Dev] Portable and OS-dependent module idea/proposal/brain fart

Fred L. Drake, Jr. Fred L. Drake, Jr." <fdrake@acm.org
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 14:21:44 -0400 (EDT)

Skip Montanaro writes:
 > whose name is 17 characters long which we'd all love to type, I'm sure. ;-)

  Just 17?  ;-)

 >     Tim> So this is less a doc issue than that more of os needs to become
 >     Tim> more like os.path (i.e., intelligently named functions with
 >     Tim> intelligently abstracted interfaces).

  Sounds like some doc improvements can really help improve things, at
least in the short term.

 > correctness on your head!)?  If that's the case, perhaps we should provide a
 > slightly higher level module that abstracts the file system as objects, and
 > adopts a more user-friendly approach to the secret octal codes.  Those of us

  I'm all for an object interface to a logical filesystem; having had
to write just such a thing in Java not long ago, and we have a similar
construct in Python (not by me, though), that we use in our Knowbot
work.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.	     <fdrake@acm.org>