[Python-Dev] about line numbers

Vladimir Marangozov Vladimir.Marangozov@inrialpes.fr
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 07:10:01 +0100 (NFT)

[me, dropping SET_LINENO]

> I wrote a very rough first implementation of this idea. The files are at:
>
> http://sirac.inrialpes.fr/~marangoz/python/lineno/

> A couple of things that need finalization:

An updated version is available at the same location.
I think that this one does The Right Thing (tm).

a) Everything is internal to the VM and totally hidden, as it should be.
b) No modifications of the code and frame objects (no additional slots)
c) The modified code string (used for tracing) is allocated dynamically
   when the 1st frame pointing to its original switches in trace mode,
   and is deallocated automatically when the last frame pointing to its
   original dies.

I feel better with this code so I can stop thinking about it and move on :-)
(leaving it to your appreciation).

What's next? File attributes? ;-)

It's not easy to weight what kind of common interface would be easy to grasp,
intuitive and unambiguous for the average user. I think that the people on
this list (being core developers) are more or less biased here (I'd say more
than less). Perhaps some input from the community (c.l.py) would help?

--
       Vladimir MARANGOZOV          | Vladimir.Marangozov@inrialpes.fr