[Python-Dev] Portable "spawn" module for core?

Fredrik Lundh fredrik@pythonware.com
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 08:39:56 +0200

Greg Ward <gward@cnri.reston.va.us> wrote:
> it recently occured to me that the 'spawn' module I wrote for the
> Distutils (and which Perry Stoll extended to handle NT), could fit
> nicely in the core library.  On Unix, it's just a front-end to
> fork-and-exec; on NT, it's a front-end to spawnv().

any reason this couldn't go into the os module instead?

just add parts of it to os.py, and change the docs to say
that spawn* are supported on Windows and Unix...

(supporting the full set of spawn* primitives would
of course be nice, btw.  just like os.py provides all
exec variants...)

</F>