[Python-Dev] Re: .DLL vs .PYD search order

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Thu, 02 Dec 1999 12:00:45 +0100

On the Mac I've introduced "magic cookies" into sys.path, which allow you to
do interesting searches (like searching for a DLL or PYC-resource in the
application itself) at known places in the import process.

There isn't a cookie for "search along the standard MacOS dll search path"
(which is somewhat similar to the Windows dll search path) because I haven't
seen a reason for it, but there's nothing to stop it. And if you'd insert that
cookie it would be perfectly clear (at least, it should be) that only dll
modules will be found in that step, not .py modules.

Actually I'm so happy with the magic cookie scheme that I've advocated at
various times in the past that something similar also be used for determining
where builtin modules and frozen modules appear in sys.path...