[Python-Dev] Re: Import redesign [Warning: INCLUDES RANT]

James C. Ahlstrom jim@interet.com
Sat, 04 Dec 1999 12:27:44 -0500

Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> James C. Ahlstrom <jim@interet.com> wrote:
> > IMHO putting shared libs in an archive is a bad idea because the OS

Dear Fredrik,

I thought the point of Python-Dev was to propose designs and get
feedback, right?  Well, I got feedback :-).

OK, I agree to alter my archive format so it provides the
ability to store shared libs and not just *.pyd.  I will
add the string length and if needed a flag indicating the
name is a shared lib.

Now the details:

> have you tried it?  if not, why do you think you should
> be allowed to forbid others from doing it?

Yes I have tried it, and I am currently on my fourth version
of an archive format which is based on formats by Greg Stein
and Gordon McMillan.  I hope it meets with the favor of the
Grand Inquisition, and becomes the standard format.  But
maybe it won't.  Oh well.

> bloody installers.  and here you are advocating that
> we all should be forced to use installers, when python
> makes it trivial to write self-installing apps. double-argh!

I am not forcing anyone to do anything, only proposing that
shared libs are best handled directly by imputil and not
the class within imputil which handles archive files.  It
is just a geeky design issue, nothing more.

JimA