[Python-Dev] Re: .DLL vs .PYD search order

Fredrik Lundh fredrik@pythonware.com
Mon, 6 Dec 1999 13:20:34 +0100

> > you obviously attempted to use imputil to implement
> > non-standard import behaviour on top of the standard
> > storage system -- while we've used it to implement
> > standard import behaviour on top of non-standard
> > storage systems.
>
> No, I tried to make the imputil approach work as replacement
> for the standard builtin importer.

I'm confused.  earlier, you said (or rather, I think you
said) that you looked at imputil to see if it could "handle
the problems you had at the time"...  and now you say
that you tried to use it as a drop-in replacement for the
"standard path importer".  I must be missing something
here...

> After I got that to work, I added some caching
> to avoid duplicated stats. The resulting importer was
> around twice as slow as the builtin one for the following
> imports:
>
> # the default one Python does at startup, plus:
> from mx import HTMLTools,DateTime,ODBC
>
> This is a pretty common setup for my scripts, so its
> preformance is relevant to me.

did you try stuffing all your PYC's into an archive file,
and running them from there?

</F>