[Python-Dev] Re: [Distutils] Questions about distutils strategy

Guido van Rossum guido@CNRI.Reston.VA.US
Wed, 08 Dec 1999 11:23:34 -0500

[me]
> > Also, note that editing site.py is a no-no!  You can create/edit
> > sitecustomize.py, but you should leave site.py alone!

[Gordon]
> That would work fine. One of the standalone configurations will
> write a site.py, but that's for a completely self-contained
> installation (ie, one which will have no conflicts with another
> Python installation).
>
> I'd also note that, for Windows at least, the path-expanding
> mechanism created by site.py has not caught on. I've got lots
> installed, and no site-python, site-packages or sitecustomize.

You shouldn't see site-python or site-packages, they only exist on
Unix.  On Windows, everything is installed in the top Python
directory.  However you should see .pth files there, which is what
site.py looks for.  I believe NumPy and PIL use those.