[Python-Dev] Re: [Distutils] Questions about distutils strategy

Guido van Rossum guido@CNRI.Reston.VA.US
Thu, 09 Dec 1999 12:18:10 -0500

[Jim A]
> Lately I have been more active in distribution via archive files.
> Part of the solution is an archive file format which is identical on
> Unix and Windows, and which can hold the Python library and packages
> as single files.  For my own efforts on this see:
>
>     ftp://ftp.interet.com/pub/pylib.html

Apart from agreeing with Jean-Claude's rant about inventing a new
archive format, I think this is a good proposal because it is very
clear about the problem it tries to solve and doesn't get distracted
by other issues.  I also commend Jim for building upon Greg Stein's
imputil (like Gordon did).  I wish I could present a solution this
simple as The Standard Way, but (as explained in my long post earlier
today) there just are so many wrinkles that I'd rather hold out for
the Right Solution...  But I've taken good notice of Jim's solution.